The best pedagogues, thinkers and educators in history have spoken of the principles of education, of good education, and of the bases for carrying it out.
UNESCO considers that everyone has the right to quality education throughout life. Every year we prepare ourselves and invest more and more resources in education and new teaching methodologies, without realizing that we have been going around the same ideas and principles for centuries.
Since the Greek thinkers and pedagogues until today, many have been those who have indicated how to teach so that learning is good, lasting and provides society with people who contribute to a better world.
The summary of all of them could be:
The human being needs to know the principles of education to be fully free. Education can only be acquired through love and respect.
I leave you this wonderful video of “Zombies at school”, where a student explains his experience and point of view of the school, not very different from the one we all have had.
It is interesting to see it before reading the sentences, then you realize that Socrates or Aristotle already explained how to teach and it is not how it is being done now.
I know that normally you leave 5 sentences, 10… this time I did it the other way around, I wanted to leave you:
The 55 best quotes from the best thinkers and educators in history.
I hope you enjoy them, here they go!
- The education of youth is neither too little nor too important; it has a universal and absolute impact.
- It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
- Being a good man and being a good citizen are not always the same thing.
- Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.
- Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a recent
- I can’t teach anyone anything, I can only make them think.
- The goal of education is virtue and the desire to become a good citizen.
- Education helps a person learn to be what he or she is capable of being.
- Idleness is the father and mother of all vices.
- The tyranny of ignorance is… the hardest and darkest of slavery.
- We should not teach what we know, but what students are capable of learning.
- The art of germinating the inner seeds that develop not by incubation but when stimulated by timely experiences, sufficiently varied and rich and always felt as new, even by the one who teaches it.
- School should be a pleasant prelude to our lives.
- Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection must complete him.
- We are curious in proportion to our culture
- A good father is worth a hundred teachers
- The only habit to teach children is not to submit to any.
- Play is the highest level of a child’s development. It brings joy, freedom, satisfaction, inner and outer rest and peace with the world. The games of childhood are the germinated leaves of a later life.
- Learning something in life through doing develops, cultivates and strengthens much more than learning only through the communication of ideas.
- Children have their own ways of seeing, thinking and feeling; nothing is more foolish than to try to replace them with ours.
- We must pay more attention to those who teach, not to those who give orders.
- Charity, freedom and cooperation to build a better humanity.
- Education is the art of making man ethical.
- The object of education is to form beings fit to govern themselves, and not to be governed by others.
- The purpose of education is the formation of character.
- The great objective of education is not knowledge but action.
- Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn.
- Investing in knowledge always yields the best returns
- I didn’t fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.
- Don’t be afraid of mistakes. Savor failure. Continue to move forward.
- An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
- Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.
- The greatest instinct of children is precisely to free themselves from adults.
- Help me to do it myself.
- Any unnecessary aid is an obstacle to development.
- The greatest sign of a teacher’s success is to be able to say, “Now the children work as if I didn’t exist.
- Teaching requires listening skills.
- Teaching is not transferring knowledge, but creating the possibilities for its own production or construction.
- Teaching requires respect for the autonomy of the learner’s being. It is necessary to develop a pedagogy of questioning. We are always hearing a pedagogy of response. Teachers answer questions that students have not asked.
- Education should not be based on rigid discipline.
- The school should be an active and not a passive educational center.
- All people must be trained to be and to live free
- Are we raising children who are only capable of learning what they already know? Or should we seek to develop creative and innovative minds, capable of discovery from preschool age, throughout life?
- The main objective of education in schools should be the creation of men and women who are capable of doing new things, not simply repeating what other generations have done; men and women who are creative, inventive and discoverers, who can be critical, verify and not accept, everything that is offered to them.
- Everything a child is taught is prevented from inventing or discovering.
- Education is an act of love, therefore, an act of courage.
- Education is freedom.
- To educate is to imbue everything we do at every moment with meaning.
- Education is the great engine of personal development
- Education is the most powerful weapon to change the world
TERESA OF CALCUTTA
- You will teach to fly, but they will not fly your flight…You will teach to dream, but they will not dream your dream…You will teach to live, but they will not live your life. However, in every life, in every flight, in every dream, will always remain the trace of the path taught.
All the phrases of great thinkers and educators, which we have to remember and try to put into practice. More than 2000 years of history and wise advice to improve education day by day.
Learn the ins and outs of being a host family and embark on a rewarding journey.
Educating the mind and the heart is achieved by traveling.
Learning through personal experience, storing memories in long-term memory, we can achieve it in exchanges, learning new cultures, languages, meeting new people.
Student or sports exchanges are the best option to enlarge the heart and mind.