It is usual to spend Christmas with family, but many students take advantage to live a new experience celebrating out of home.
Christmas is a moment of union, love, solidarity and integration. Make your student feel surrounded by love as if he/she was at home.
- Invite she/he to participate in every single activity: help with the Christmas tree, the lights, etc.
- Both (student and the host family) explain your Christmas traditions.
- Clothing: It´s important that the student know how to dress, so she/he don´t feel uncomfortable, we should guide him/her, but at the same time leaving some margin so she/he can feel comfy.
- If you want to help, giving to her/him a present, we should collaborate and give her/him a hand. Most probably she/he will feel comfortable giving a present.
- Talk to the student family days before, so you can organize everything related with the gifts. You should know if her/him parents are going to send a present or you have to buy it. The day that you exchange presents, the student will also has one for she/he.
- Dinner: if you are going to have family meeting, remember to include him/her. I´m pretty sure he/she will want to try and know more about the different culture and traditions. Maybe he/she doesn´t like it at all, so let him try and don´t insist.
- Look for the perfect moment to make the family Photo and include him/her. Send those photos to the student family. Maybe you can have a Skype videocall with her/his family other day, it will be a nice gesture, but you have to schedule before (because of the time difference).
Each country, has specific traditions, but we share the general ones, for example: the Christmas tree or the Christmas crib. Celebrate the birth, giving present as the wise men did it.
Why the most important celebrations are made with family, around a table and giving presents? Well, that´s how Christians commemorate the Barth of Christ.
Any tradition is lived from the heart these christmas days and remain in the memory of everyone, make your host family the best memory for your student!
Merry Christmas to everybody!
Youtube: Do they Know it’s Christmas ~ Band Aid 1984